STRUTHERS STUDENTS TAP IN

Mayor Cat Cercone
(Left to Right); Vince Boila, Jason Dukes, Robert Carcelli, Ava Croyle, Paul Armour, Bella Sandusky, Sadie Jones, Nicholas Johnson, Matthew Mraulak

The National Honor Society held their tappings for upcoming members on Friday, March 1.

It is a big honor to be selected for the National Honor Society because of all the requirements it takes to get in. Only the highest, most prestigious students get picked, and they had to do a lot of work to get to where they are now. 

Stephanie Mickler, the NHS Advisor, highlights what students must do to get into the society. 

“Students need a 3.5 GPA, at least 20 service points, and 75% approval from faculty and staff on character and leadership in and out of the classroom,” says Mickler. 

Twenty-nine students were tapped into the program by current members of NHS. To get tapped in, those current members give the new members a carnation and a congratulatory note. 

Ava Croyle, a new member, addresses how she was accepted in the society and how much it meant to her. 

“The mayor [tapped me in] because I wasn’t at school that day I was at a job shadowing. It’s such an unreal feeling; I always saw my older sister doing this and now it’s my turn. I feel like I need to live up to what she did, and now I am. Also, it looks really good on college applications and scholarships,” says the junior. 

Now that all of the students have been accepted, their work is not done. There are more upcoming ceremonies and work that the students have to do, now that they are a part of everything. It is a way for them to put all of their hard work into action. 

Mickler is aware of the upcoming events that will take place for the National Honor Society.

“We are inducting our new members on March 21 in the Fieldhouse, and we also have our Egg My Yard fundraiser on March 30,” says Mickler.