TIKTOK PROVIDES SAFE SPACE FOR TEENS

Google

Why is the ban of TikTok the government’s number one priority? We have more important things to focus on rather than an app that builds community and is a fun way for teens to express themselves or even find comfort. 

The banning of TikTok is not truly necessary, nor is it the most important issue currently in our society. The banning of this extremely popular app would limit freedom of speech and cause outrage among many, especially since TikTok is a way that many people are able to make a decent living. 

There are no justifiable reasons to ban TikTok, other than the fact that the government wants control over the people on the app. TikTok is simply an app where people can speak their minds without fearing control from the government, and many find it to be their safe space when it comes to expressing themselves. Tiktok is a good way for people to improve their mental health and can provide people a way to be seen and understood. It is many people’s main way to learn things about the world and can be very beneficial when it comes to raising awareness or money for certain things like healthcare needs and home essentials. According to “Government Hasn’t Justified a TikTok Ban,” “So we are troubled by growing demands in the United States for restrictions on TikTok, a technology that many people have chosen to exchange information with others around the world. Before taking such a drastic step, the government must come forward with specific evidence showing, at the very least, a real problem and a narrowly tailored solution. So far, the government hasn’t done so.” 

Despite these facts, some do believe that the TikTok ban is extremely important. People believe that the Chinese communist party is stealing personal data and information to use. The reason that these beliefs and opinions are not valid is because even though they are taking personal data from log-ins or card information from purchases, every social media platform and business collects personal data from the user, no matter where the purchase is being held–whether it is some brand owned by China or a brand owned by a small business.  

In order to change this, TikTok can begin to push more positive advertising and try and highlight the positive sides of the app to try and pull the focus away from the negative sides. Many members of the TikTok community who do it as a job can begin to voice their distress over losing their job more openly and strongly. The community as a whole can express the distress over losing their freedom of speech and losing their main source of news. 

Overall, the banning of TikTok is unnecessary and even dangerous. The reason for this is because it will put a stop to freedom and expression that many are able to access through TikTok and rid people of their main source of income.