STUDENTS MAKING A DIFFERENCE

Mrs. Nicholas
September Students of the Month (Left to Right): Emma Morris (senior), Olivia Miner (senior), Matthew McConahy (junior), Ryan Gulu (sophomore), Alexandra Ashraf Karam Milad (freshman)

Struthers High School nominates one person from each grade level for Student of the Month. For the month of September, Alex Ashraf Karam Milad won for 9th grade, Ryan Gulu for 10th, Matthew McConahy for 11th, and Emma Morris for 12th. 

Teachers nominate students that they think follow the “Wildcat Way” and show dedication to the school. At Struthers, they follow something called “RED” (Responsible, Elite and Dedicated). These four students have followed this perfectly, which is why they were chosen for Student of the Month. 

Earning Student of the Month can make people feel really good about themselves and the work and dedication they’ve put into school. 

“It’s awesome having teachers look at you as a leader and someone they can trust inside of a classroom,” says McConahy.

Having rewards for hardworking students can inspire other students to be more focused in class. Most of the Student of the Month nominees get A’s and B’s, work hard, and show teachers they’re interested in the class.  

Nominees also often participate in other school activities, such as clubs or sports. 

“I play a few sports. Football, golf, track, and I’m thinking of trying out for baseball,” says McConahy.

Not only does receiving Student of the Month boost the students’ confidence, but it also shows other teachers in the school that you care about school and the grades you get. 

Students who continue to work hard and achieve their goals throughout high school can receive this reward more than once. 

“I got Student of the Month last year too,” says McConahy.