STRUTHERS TRACK COMPETES AT POLAND INVITATIONAL

Frank Marr
Elena Bullen, junior, is a member of the relay team for the Cats.

The Struthers track team went to the Poland Invitational on April 26, 2024 at Poland High School.

With over twenty teams competing, Struthers went into this meet prepared and ready to do their best. Although there was a lot more competition than normal, the athletes were mainly focused on beating themselves, reaching their personal goals, and improving as a whole.

Junior, Elena Bullen, was content with how the meet went.

“I think we could have done better as a team, but I’m always happy as long as our time improves,” says Bullen.

Although the team didn’t place high in a lot of events, they performed better than they have all season, which athletes are very happy about. The team has put in a lot of work to shorten their times, better their handoffs, and place better than they did previously. Although Struthers didn’t come out as the top team in this invitational, they are not upset with their performance.

Bullen believes that her relay team has improved from the first meet, to now.

“I do believe me and my team have improved a lot throughout the season. Our relay got consistent and our handoffs improved,” says Bullen.

In any normal meet, there are three, and up to four teams competing, which is not much pressure at all. However, at most invitationals there is a range from 15-25 teams. This brings athletes’ nerves through the roof, knowing great teams from all over are going to be running against them. Struthers got to see many new runners, as well as those in field events at this invitational, which made them nervous, but also pushed them to want to be better.

Bullen feels more pressured at invitationals compared to regular meets.

“Running at invitationals makes me very nervous because there are great teams there compared to our NE8 meets,” says Bullen.