BARTH TAKES ON TENNIS

Ava Pokopatz
Mr. Barth is the boys tennis coach at SHS.

Jonathan Barth is a math teacher and boys tennis coach at Struthers High School. 

Mr. Barth has been teaching for 11 years and coaching for two. 

Coaching and teaching was never Barth’s first choice once it came to careers. 

“I never wanted to coach really, someone vacated the position and I took it. I always wanted to be an engineer, but I didn’t like it and then taught,” says Barth. 

Barth went to Struthers Elementary School in second grade and graduated from Struthers High School. He attended Youngstown State University for college. 

Mr. Barth taught in various buildings but has only coached at Struthers High School. 

“I have only coached at Struthers, I played at Struthers too. I taught at Valley Christian and Struthers Middle School and Struthers High School,” says Barth. 

Both Mr. Barth and his wife work with Struthers City Schools. His wife was a nurse at Struthers High School, but eventually moved to Struthers Middle School. 

Barth enjoys the aspect of helping people learn and understand with both of his jobs. 

“I like when someone isn’t understanding something, and I can help them understand,” says Barth.