TEXANS MAKE BIG MOVES IN OFFSEASON

TEXANS MAKE BIG MOVES IN OFFSEASON

The NFL Free Agency period started March 13, 2024, and many teams including the Houston Texans started competing to sign the best players to upgrade their team.

The Free Agency period is very important for teams in the NFL to help add on to their team in hopes of competing for the Superbowl in the upcoming season.

One of the biggest moves in the entire offseason came when the Houston Texans traded for superstar wide receiver, Stefon Diggs. The Texans sent a 2025 2nd round, 5th round, and 6th round pick for their new wide receiver one. Diggs is four time Pro Bowler, one time first team all-pro, one time second team all-pro, as well as the receiving leader in 2020. This trade helps the Texans young quarterback, C.J Stroud develop as a star he is expected to be. 

Diggs had high praise on the young quarterback who he is going to start playing with in the next couple months.

“He’s a [heck] of a quarterback, he’s a [heck] of a leader. As you watched those guys throughout the season last year, you kind of started to see them build something really special,” says Diggs. 

Another huge move made by the Houston Texans came when they signed Danielle Hunter to a two year contract worth 49 million dollars guaranteed. Hunter has been one of the best edge rushers in the entire NFL the past couple years as he dominated for the Minnesota Vikings. Hunter is a four time Pro Bowler as well as a one time second team all-pro member. Hunter is coming off a 16 sack season and will help young edge rusher, Will Anderson, make even more plays. The Texans just last year broke their franchise sack record in a season with 46 total sacks, and with this signing, they look to break it again. 

Hunter seemed very excited in his press conference to work with the 2023 DROTY Will Anderson.

“Oh, man, that kid right there, he’s exciting, has a lot of tools. I was with him earlier, and he just can’t stop jumping, how eager he is to go out there and rush the passer together,” says Hunter.

The last big move the Texans made was trading for running back Joe Mixon for just a 7th round draft pick. Mixon has been a stud for the Cincinnati Bengals the past couple years as he was on the team that went to the Super Bowl in 2021 as well as being selected for the Pro Bowl the same year. Mixon and the Texans came to an agreement on a three year contract worth 27 million dollars. This move as well as the Stefon Diggs trade tremendously helps out their young quarterback. 

Mixon said his final goodbyes to the city of Cincinnati after the Texans trade was finalized.

“Helping facilitate and being a witness to the major culture change within the team and the city over my career here is something I’ll never forget. From a team that went 2-14 to competing on the biggest stage, the Super Bowl. Bringing life back to the city and fans in the last couple of years is a feeling like no other,” says Mixon.