SCHOOL HOURS SHOULD BE SHORTENED

School days are far too long. Students barely have any time to do things that don’t involve school. Young students, especially high school students, have extracurriculars that are hard to adjust to because of school hours.

School hours should be at most four hours a day to open up more opportunities throughout the day and to do other things. 

Students with ADHD or other mental disorders can’t concentrate for a very long time. It’s challenging to stay focused when you’re sitting in a room, listening to lectures for hours on end. School hours being shortened could help students concentrate a lot better. If school started later in the day, kids would have more time to sleep in and feel better when waking up. According to Juni, “Shorter days give students an opportunity to concentrate better, as human attention span is limited.”

Others believe that there’s no effect on students’ performances by shortening the school day. If students had the chance to sleep in, they wouldn’t be as tired. When students are tired, they won’t feel as motivated to do their work to the best of their ability. Doing school work for 8 hours a day gets old and students get sick of it. Towards the end of the day, students are tired and are thinking more about going home than they are worried about their assignments. 

Schools should figure out a way to shorten school hours. Long days aren’t good for young adults or kids. Classes being shorter periods of time could help with shortening the day. 

Shorter days will be more beneficial to students. Students won’t be as tired, and higher performance would come into play with a shorter day.