FREE AGENCY BEGINS

The free agency period for the NFL starts Wednesday March 14, 2024 at 4 p.m where teams can talk to and sign the players that have not signed a contract yet. Before then, teams can get their last resign offers in hopes their players don’t go into free agency.

Free agency can be a make or break moment for many teams before the season even starts. By picking up an important player for a missing role, a team’s success can skyrocket. This is why teams must sign their best players before free agency starts so another team can’t get their hands on the player.

One of the biggest superstars that was on the last year of their contract this year was wide receiver Mike Evans. Evans has been “Mr. Reliable”  for the Buccaneers posting 10 1,000 yard seasons in a row. He was also a key part in Tampa Bay’s Super Bowl run in 2021. Both sides were finally able to reach a deal that is 4 years and worth over 14 million dollars.

Evans was extremely happy to stay in the city after the contract agreement.

“Fire them cannons! I’m not leaving… I’m not leaving… I’m not [explicit] leaving,” says Evans.

Another superstar that could be returning to their team in the NFC South is defensive end Brian Burns. Burns is a recent breakout as he is a two time pro bowler (2021, 2022) and has been the defensive anchor for the Carolina Panthers. Burns had already been arguing for his contract extension by holding out on practices before speaking to GM Dan Morgan. While not being able to get a deal done, Morgan decided to use a franchise tag on Burns which will allow him to negotiate with other teams who will match the Panthers minimum $24 million.

Morgan had already hinted on the fact the Panthers would be putting the franchise tag on Burns in an interview at the Draft Combine. 

“We would definitely use it if we had to use it, we love Brian. Brian’s a Panther. Somebody that I know, that I’m close to. I played with his brother. So, I definitely love Brian. But all options are on the table,” says Morgan.

The biggest name that looks to be joining the free agent market is defensive tackle Chris Jones. The 3 time Super Bowl champion, 5-time all-pro and 5-time pro bowler has not re-signed with the Kansas City Chiefs. While Jones is reaching 30 years old, he is expected to make over 84.5 million on his contract per ESPN.

Although he has still not resigned, Jones seemed to be quite adamant that he wanted to return to Kansas City after his speech at the Super Bowl parade.

But you know what? I want that three-peat. And for those who want Chris Jones gone, I ain’t going nowhere, baby. I’m going to be here this year, and the year after that. I need that three-peat,” says Jones.