POCAHONTAS INSPIRES OTHERS TO RESOLVE CONFLICT

Pocahontas is curious when she first lays eyes on the colonizers from Britain.

Pocahontas is a Native American girl who is also a princess of the Pamunkey tribe in Virginia. On her pathway of self reflection, she sees what she then had known to be “strange clouds.” These “clouds” would turn out to be flags of the first few ships from Great Britain. Within these boats hold colonizers who want to take gold, become rich and live new lives. Pocahontas ends up meeting a colonizer named John Smith, and she teaches him how she lives at her home. They both fall in love, however, her father heavily disapproves of them marrying due to the constant fights between the colonizers and all of the native tribes. Pocahontas’s father even goes as far as to attempt to kill John, but fails as she saves him.

The song “Colors of the Wind” is sung by Pocahontas to give John Smith a reality check. The lyrics go very well with the plot, which is to not be rude to others you do not know. The singing becomes very powerful when Pocahontas wants to add emphasis on how she truly feels. The wind and flowers blowing in both her and John’s hair adds a colorful and soothing touch to her singing. The color schemes change from blues and purples to oranges, yellows and greens as John becomes more familiar and less ignorant.

The song “Just Around the RiverBend” describes Pocahontas’s decisions on what she needs to do from what she wants to do by using a divided river. Pocahontas chooses her happiness and goes down the steep slope. She becomes happier as she goes down the river. The music continues to get quicker and becomes more lively. Her singing becomes more powerful yet controlled as she becomes happier with her choice.

This movie deserves a 9/10 because of its great way to convey the message that nobody is above anyone.