MARTIN GETS HANG OF HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL

Isabella Sferra
Gianna Martin, freshman, is a multi-sport athlete for the Cats.

Gianna Martin is a freshman at Struthers High School and plays basketball for the Struthers Wildcats. She is a post on the varsity basketball team. She has been playing basketball since the 3rd grade.

The last few years have gone pretty well for the girls. Hopefully, this season will continue their streak. As their season creeps closer to the end, all they can hope for is a few more wins.

Martin is feeling good about the season, but she has some critiques for herself.

“I think I’m doing pretty well, but I need to get mentally stronger because I’m too weak in my mind. Sometimes when I do something wrong, I lose my confidence and don’t try it again and that’s bad,” says Martin.

Martin is always very proud of her team. Beating Lakeview was her favorite and proudest moment of the season. Beating Lakeview was a big deal for her because that was one of the team’s biggest goals.

Martin has been playing for a while, and she has a lot to live up to.

“I’ve been playing since the 3rd grade. My mom played and so did my entire family, so it was sort of set in stone,” says Martin. 

A post is like the protector of the court. They spend most of their time by the rim. On offense, they take inside shots, and on defense, they protect the rime. Without a post, there would be half the amount of points that teams make.

Martin feels very strongly about basketball.

“It makes me feel accomplished in a way because I feel like I’ve done a lot as a freshman and it’s not really usual for a freshman to start on varsity, so it makes me feel accomplished,” says Martin.