BARTH TAKES ON NEW CLASSES

Isabella Sferra
Mr. Barth is a math teacher at SHS.

Mr. Barth is a teacher at Struthers High School. He has been teaching for 11 years. He taught at Valley Christian School and at Struthers Middle School before coming to the high school. 

He teaches multiple math classes which are Algebra 1, Statistics and Pre-Calculus. He enjoys every class he teaches. 

This is the teacher’s first year teaching statistics. 

“There are definitely things that I wish I could have done differently. I think this is always the case for any teacher that is trying to add a new content area that they have never taught before. I am having fun with it. It’s nice having Mr. Garcar to talk to. I can ask him how he approaches the content. Any time I need help, he is always super helpful,” says Barth.

As a teacher, you always have a class that you struggle with. Even though he loves all his classes he has taught, his least favorite to teach was 2nd grade art.

Although Barth loves what he does now, he does have some regrets.  

“I regret not trying harder when I was in high school. I understand why many students are unmotivated. I wish I could get them to see that this is the only time they have to get free assistance to learn new things every day,” says Barth.

Barth has been teaching for a while and has had many favorite parts about his career. 

As a teacher, there are ups and downs that come along with it. 

“The best part about being a teacher is watching the students grow to become adults. The amount that some of them mature over the course of 4 years is pretty cool. The worst part is when you can’t get through to a student and have to watch them as they make bad decisions,” says the teacher.