“SAFE HAVEN” SOARS ABOVE LIMITS

The New York Times bestselling author Nicholas Sparks brought to screens his feel-good novel, “Safe Haven,” in its film version on February 14, 2013.

“Safe Haven” the film was written and directed by Lasse Hallström. It is about a secure and safe-loving story of a girl named Katie and a boy named Alex–who begins to create a safety-net for her. Katie is a rough-around-the-edges girl on the run from her abusive ex-husband and cop, Kevin. Once Katie has escaped far enough to the little beach town of Southport, North Carolina, she encounters Alex, a dad of two and a recent widow who owns the town supermarket. As Katie begins to settle into her new life and Alex makes his way into her heart, all seems well again, only until Kevin manages to find her.

One of the best assets of this film was portraying an example of being able to find a better life after experiencing the worst one. Katie was married to her abusive husband for most of her adult life and never felt like there was a way out for her, at least until she managed to escape. When she did escape, she was able to find the little town of Southport, a town that seemed safe and secure. Because she decided to settle down there, by fate, she met the town’s golden boy, Alex, and his two younger children. As her time there went on, she realized that there was a rainbow after the storm, because she would’ve never thought her life could turn out that good after experiencing so much abuse. This moral shows all viewers that hope is a real thing and having it can change your life.

Another thing about this film that got audiences raving was the relationship between Katie and Alex’s kids. Right after she met Alex, she was so loving towards his kids. She didn’t even know them and she welcomed them so easily. Audiences believe that is why Alex fell so hard for her, because she could be the mom they never had. Katie especially had a soul-tied bond to Alex’s daughter, Lexie. It was almost like that was genuinely her real mom, and that made it all the better for Alex to welcome her into their family.

“Safe Haven” portrayed how beautiful life can really be, even with a rough-go-around beforehand. Out of all of the Nicholas Sparks romance novels turned to movies, this one provided the best theme for hope. Hope was so powerful in this film, that almost all viewers exclaimed how it has taught them to look at life in a better light. It is rated PG-13 and receives a worthy five star rating. This movie convinces everyone that it does get better and having hope can save your life.