SKILLA BABY BRINGS “PLATE” TO TABLE

Trevon Gardner, better known as Skilla Baby, released a new single named “Plate” on February 2, 2024. He was able to release this song through his label, “300 Entertainment.”

During the beginning of the piece, we can hear the artist asking their god why he is targeted by those who want to see his downfall. He then explains that he sins while praying and repenting for his actions. The artist then exclaims how jealousy causes people to be frustrated with his success and lack of struggle, further exclaiming that he is more humble than most. Skilla Baby then exclaims how he could have not helped by keeping all that he gained from his fame. The next lines consist of the artist listing off the people he has helped as well as asking who has helped more. The artist’s lyrics then are him reacting to the amount on his metaphorical plate. This metaphor shows all of the responsibilities that the musical artist has to deal with. This also shows that he has taken care of those close to him after his career became successful.

One thing that is good about this song is that it shows that the artist supports his surroundings and community. Skilla Baby exclaims multiple times throughout the song that he made sure that the individuals surrounding him are in good health. The artist can also be heard exclaiming how he wants the children to stop the violence in an effort to help the next generation of people in his neighborhood.

Another positive aspect from this song is that the artist is very transparent in how he’s feeling. The artist voices his opinion about the types of people he finds himself around. He exclaims his distaste to these people in a manner that they would understand who they are. This also shows how the artist deals with his altercations verbally through his songs.

Overall, this song would be recommended to those who enjoy music in the genres of rap or Detroit rap.