SCAVNICKY STEALS SHOW

Frank Marr
Michael Scavnicky, sophomore, plays first base and pitches for the Cats.

Michael Scavnicky is a sophomore at Struthers High School. He’s a pitcher and a first baseman who is looking forward to the upcoming season.

Scavnicky has been playing baseball since he was three years old, and this gave him the opportunity to meet many people and form great bonds with them. He enjoys meeting up with his teammates and playing with them. The bond he has with the team is inseparable, and he is beyond grateful to know each one of the baseball players.

Having a good relationship with the other baseball players is important to the athlete, and it is his favorite part of the sport.

“My favorite part about playing baseball is building a bond and a brotherhood with my teammates,” says Scavnicky.

The sophomore feels that we might have a good season. Certain people need to step up and they need to work on not making small mistakes. The team needs to try their best to be a varsity level team and know how to play the game properly.

Scavnicky thinks that in order to have a good season, they need to make less mistakes on the field and get used to hitting at the plate to gain more runs. The team has to get ready to play games at a varsity standard.

“I think we have a chance to have a good season. This all depends on whether we can play well in the field and minimize making errors. We also need some young guys to step up and be able to perform at a varsity level. Lastly, we need to get comfortable at the plate, we need to be able to put the ball in play and move runners around the bases. If we do all of these things, I do not doubt in my mind that we can have a great season,” says the baseball player.

Seeing himself as a leader, Scavnicky has great communication skills during games and motivates the rest of the team to do their best. While trying to motivate the team, Scavnicky gets his motivation from his father who passed away. The baseball player knows that his father is watching over him during every play of each game he has. 

The athlete knows his dad watches over him, and it motivates him to do his best.

“My biggest motivation is knowing that my dad who passed away is watching over me and watching me play in every game I play,” says Scavnicky.

View Comments (1)