STEWART KICKS OFF FRESHMAN SEASON

Ava Pokopatz
Gionni Stewart, freshman, is a multi-sport athlete at SHS.

Gionni Stewart is a 9th grade student at Struthers High School. He plays many different sports and is very involved at his school. He participates in football, basketball and track.

The Struthers basketball team has just kicked off their season with many new faces to help improve their team and their season.

Stewart is very pleased with the new experiences he gets in high school basketball compared to middle school. One factor stands out when Stewart is asked about his favorite aspect of this season.

“I’d say my favorite part is probably the fact that I have more freedom, like I can do more stuff on my own,” says Stewart. 

He is confident in his team and can see them having a great season. He is very excited about what is to come in this season and the future seasons.

Stewart is a great player and has a lot of reasons for his skills. While that is true, one person is the main factor in his basketball career.

“My Uncle Dave is my biggest role model because he’s really taught me everything about basketball, football, track, lifting and really anything about sports he taught me,” says the athlete.

He has a lot of drive for basketball, and he is very glad he started playing. He motivates himself by watching NBA players and striving to be like them.

He loves basketball and hopes to continue playing for a very long time. Although he has come far, there are some things he wishes he would’ve done differently.

“I am most definitely excited to continue my basketball career because I hope to be able to play basketball in college. If I could’ve changed one thing about my career so far, it would be my confidence while playing, like last year and the year before that,” says Stewart.