BASKETBALL PLAYERS TRANSFER FROM MIDDLE SCHOOL TO HIGH SCHOOL

Frank Marr
The Ladycats are nearly halfway through the season.

The younger Struthers Wildcats are gaining more skills in basketball by entering high school.

After a few years of learning the basics and the sport, they are expanding their skills to play at a higher level.

Most people learn the fundamentals of basketball in elementary school. However, some people don’t get that privilege, so others start in middle school. 

High school basketball is a little more harsh than middle school basketball.

“High school basketball is more intense than middle school and there are a lot more expectations. Middle school was mainly a time to learn and develop my skills, and high school was a chance for me to show everyone who I was as a player in a bigger setting. But no matter what, it was still the same basketball I love,” says sophomore post Isabella Sahli.

As teams get older, it is assumed that they will get better as they age. However, they don’t always get better, they can get worse or just maintain their same ability. It also depends on if Struthers gets better over the years. 

It is most likely that a team that was tough to beat in middle school will continue to be a tough team to beat in high school.

“A lot of teams that were dominant in middle school continued to play very well in high school, like Canfield and Austintown. However, most teams in the NE8 that we played all throughout developed with us and our skill increased together,” says Sahli.

Everyone has a reason to start something, whether it is a hobby or a sport. People have different reasons and motivations for starting their new activity. 

Sahli’s family tried to uplift her to start playing. 

“My family encouraged me to go to a few open gyms in 3rd grade and beyond. My aunt is a 1000-point scorer for Struthers and my uncle was a very good basketball player here as well, so I was very inspired by them to play too,” says Sahli.