PENGUINS SHOCK BOBCATS

PENGUINS SHOCK BOBCATS

The 5-3 YSU basketball team traveled to Athens, Ohio to take on the Bobcats on December 6th. 

The Penguins ended up pulling away in the end with a final score of 78-72. YSU was up 3 going into the break. 

Brandon Rush led the team with 19 points while Brett Thompson and DJ Burns each added 14 points.  

Calhoun knows if his team wants to win, they have to win the turnover battle.  

“Their coach does a great job and their staff gets their guys ready to go, so, you know a very tough opponent, we talk with our guys all the time about winning the turnover margin,” says Calhoun. 

YSU out rebounded the Bobcats 42-31. DJ Burns led the team with 11 of those rebounds. 

Calhoun relies on the returners from last season to step up this season.  

“We were the regular season champs last year and there were a lot of really good teams at the top. The league was decided by one game, so trying to get 12 new players to understand [the importance of] each game is the target,” says Calhoun. 

DJ Burns also led the Penguins with 3 assists and 3 blocks. 

Despite being in the basketball season, the coaches still push the athletes about their academics.  

“It’s good for the kid’s travel schedule, for their resting time for their academics, to have one game at home and one game on the road, pretty much for the most part almost all year,” says Calhoun.