FRESHMEN BOYS START OUT STRONG

The freshmen boys’ basketball team played on December 7th, 2023 at home versus Poland.

This was their first game of the season, and it was against their rivals: the Poland Bulldogs.

The Struthers boys only had 2 practices as a freshman team before they played Poland, but they still managed to come out on top. Struthers was beating Poland from the beginning. The score was 20-4 by the half and the final was 44-29.

With such a big win, comes many positive things to say.

“I think the team played pretty good together, everyone was making good passes and hitting good shots,” says freshman player Gionni Stewart.

During any sports season, Struthers fans never miss out. Including the basketball game, the stands were filled and the cheerleaders were doing their best to boost the fans and players’ sports.

The extra support gave the players the energy they needed.

“The fans made it very energetic and made the overall environment very fun to play in,” says freshman player Adrian Gelonese. 

For begging in the boy’s first game, they performed really well with nice cuts to the basket and making lots of good shots. It gives promise to what these boys can continue to accomplish through their season. 

But with all accomplishment, there’s always work for improvement.

“By making space on the court, cutting to the hoop, and taking better shots, we can be more successful,” says Stewart. 

Overall, they continue to practice and put in the work to get better. It makes us excited to see how these players perform in the tournament.