STRUTHERS GIRLS START OFF SEASON

STRUTHERS GIRLS START OFF SEASON

The Struthers girls’ JV and varsity basketball team played at Fitch on November 27.

Struthers is just starting off their season, and this is Fitch’s second game of the 2023 season.

The girls’ JV team only played two quarters due to the lack of players because most of them needed to play up on varsity. But, they still played just as hard. JV lost their game but are continuing to work and improve for next time. On the other hand, varsity had a big comeback in the 2rd and 4th quarters. They were down by 17 at half time but were only down by one by the middle of the 4th quarter. In the end they fell short 50-46.

But no matter the score, both teams kept hustling and showing positive attitudes towards each other.

“Both teams worked together tremendously and energy was great throughout both games,” says sophomore player Natalie Wolikow.

All games come with challenges especially when facing tough teams. Fitch is a division one school and Struthers almost had them in the end. The varsity came back in the 3rd and 4th quarters to show that Struthers is a team that doesn’t give up without a fight.

When performing well, that creates positive energy that can count just as much as a win.

“The varsity comeback really boosted team morale and made us a lot more confident going into the rest of the season. Even though we lost, we still managed to compete really well against a pretty highly-skilled team,” says sophomore player Isabella Sahli.

Struthers are just beginning their season. They continue to work with Coach Hritz and the other assistant coaches continue to push the girls at practices. From here they can only grow and that’s what sports are all about.

With sports, there’s a lot of room for growth.

“The team overall has improved a lot; however, there is always room for improvement. An area I feel we can improve in is staying consistent throughout the entire game,” says Wolikow.