MATZYE GIVES INSIGHT ON HIS TEACHINGS

Ava Pokopatz
Mr. Matzye has been teaching for 33 years.

Struthers High School Math Teacher Mr. Matzye has been teaching math for 33 years.

Matzye went to Campbell Memorial High School and graduated from Youngstown State University. Matzye then taught mathematics in Rayen High Schools and Hayes Jr. High (Youngstown City Schools), before entering his position in Struthers High School.

Matzye presumably clears some confusion and future questions by offering some major details of his line of work.

“I teach Algebra 2 and Pre-Calculus to my students, grade and plan for future assignments. It’s nice to see them as a person as myself as we all have our good and bad days, but we have to work through it all together, and that’s how I view my students,” says Matzye.

Matzye tends to approach the times watching students succeed at things they couldn’t before, both inside and outside of the classroom, to be his favorite part about teaching. Respecting the overall appreciation of his students and their abilities to achieve academic excellence, like his experiences throughout graduation. 

On the contrary, Matzye really dislikes students doing nothing during class time and then wondering why they cannot complete a task or have any knowledge over what was done over class. Matzye also disapproves of the assignment of unnecessary work that acts more like a timewaster or work that isn’t gradual enough for successful knowledge.

Considering this knowledge on his viewpoints of teaching and his students, Matzye answers what he views about Struthers comparatively to other schools he taught in.

“It is a nice tight knit community of people who, for the most part, will help one another when in need,” says Matzye. 

In addition to his views of the city of Struthers, Matzye actually participates in making this “nice tight knit community” by implementing some of his time into extracurriculars like clubs and more.

Focusing on clubs and participation for the community, Matzye provides a nice, even insight for information on the club.

“I help organize with the Math Club and we usually do fun math activities as we are snacking. It’s great to be enjoying my time with other students and seeing them enjoy these activities as proposed,” says Matzye.

Later, coming into question, what would Matzye do professionally if he wasn’t a math teacher and wasn’t a staff member at this school? 

For that, Matzye initiates an answer.

“If I wasn’t a math teacher, I would probably be a goat herder,” says Matzye.

His response is often seen as offsetting with its distinctions apart from teaching math to students.