SPINE-CHILLING READS

SPINE-CHILLING+READS
Google

Keep an eye out for BOO-ks! As the leaves change and the air gets colder this October, a multitude of spooky reads have been released just in time for Halloween.

It’s the season for all things scary, and bookstores are no exception. Haunting the shelves are various new releases that will be sure to set the tone for fall. Locations such as Book-A-Million and Barnes Noble are a great place to look for a story to get lost in. Local bookstores are also a good choice, as it supports the community and oftentimes contains the most hidden gems.

The allure of new books is a strong one. There are a lot of authors such as Kosoko Jackson, a newer writer in the field that wants to show his talents off with his newest release. “The Forest Demands It’s Due” is a page-turner that heavily features elements of horror and fantasy. These two forces, as well as terrifying monsters come together into a suspenseful Y/A novel that is sure to have readers hooked.

Another recently released novel is “The Haunting” by Natasha Preston. This is a book that causes rapid pulse and beating hearts all around the world. Preston’s unique writing style and knack for descriptions really makes this nightmarish story full of twists and turns come right off the page. This book is a combination of teen angst and drama, as well as a murder mystery that will have readers guessing until the very end.

“Call The Dark” by J. Todd Scott is a recent horror staple. This terrifying book takes place in the Appalachian mountains, after the main character crashes out of a plane and has to uncover the truth as to what happened to her and another survivor. This is a thriller mixed with survival elements. The looming threat of vampires actively hunting, as well as the hopeless setting, make for a rather tension-filled and action-packed adventure for readers to sink their teeth into.

Despite the plethora of recent releases, the old is still just as good as the new, with some horror classics truly being worth the effort. Some psychological adventure books are “Frankenstein” by Mary Shelle and the unnerving “Haunting of Hill House” by Shirley Jackson. A well-known and appreciated short novella being the “Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” by Robert Louis Stephanson is a wonderfully unique classic. They were scary when they were first written, but these books still give people a fright in the present day.

There are also quite a few authors that specialize in writing creepy stories. A famous example being R.L. Stein, the author of the beloved series “Goosebumps.” This six-book series influenced many childhood nightmares, and is definitely worth revisiting for nostalgia and a few genuine scares. Another consistent horror fan is Stephen King, who has more than sixty books containing horror elements. Some examples include “The Skeleton Crew,” “IT,” “The Shining,” and “Salem’s Lot.”

The season’s wide selection is plentiful and eye-catching to readers all around the globe. The changing weather and fall aesthetics are the perfect atmosphere to get lost in a fictional world with your favorite characters and their own unique adventures.