FOUR-DAY SCHOOL WEEKS BENEFIT STUDENTS

Google

School can be exhausting for many, especially teens. School doesn’t leave time for extracurricular activities and can be very time consuming. 

We should have four-day school weeks to leave time for extracurriculars and relaxation. 

Many kids feel that a two-day break is not enough, especially since teachers are giving a lot of homework on the weekends and students find their weekends consumed by their work. A four-day school week could improve the attendance of students because they won’t be as exhausted. Students may also feel more motivated to study or do their homework. According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, “In addition, some studies have shown that student attendance improves under a four-day school week. With a longer weekend, students have more time to rest and engage in extracurricular activities, which can lead to better attendance during the week. This, in turn, can lead to improved academic performance.”

Many believe that we should have five-day school weeks because it provides routine and consistency. While being consistent and having a routine is important for life outside of school, it is not the same for life in school. Routines can make students bored and tired of the same thing over and over again. This could cause students to stop trying or lose interest. 

To start implementing four-day school weeks, schools should begin to change up their lessons and activities to fit a four-day school week. Schools should start their school days a little earlier while finishing classes a little later. Also, the students would need to adjust to these changes in order to have an extra day off. 

Having a four-day school week would help students to feel less stressed. Students and teachers could have more time for their families, friends, and relaxation. Attendance, work and motivation would improve for both students and teachers.