CHESS CLUB RETURNS

Ava Pokopatz
Mr. Dailey is the Chess Club advisor.

Struthers High School has a Chess Club that runs after school on Wednesdays. 

The students mainly run the meetings. The meeting consists of people gathering around, talking and having fun. The people there make jokes, have snacks and play the game. 

Chess Club has a lot of engagement. 

Each meeting will offer a few exhibition matches to practice, learn and to challenge one another. We will try to match up with someone different each week,” says Chess Club leader, Mr. Dailey. 

In Chess Club, people can participate if they want to. But the people who are in Chess Club for the National Honor Society or a scholarship have to participate. Chess Club is a place where students can engage with one another and have fun. 

The club is enjoyed by many people. 

I enjoy all board games and card games. However, chess is challenging on another level,” says Dailey. 

There are short lessons, and there are strategies from members of the club. If a student wants to, they can run a lesson. The club originally started because of the students. The students brought it up to Mr. Dailey. He then took it into his own matters and held meetings.

There are many opinions on Chess Club. 

“My interest in this club started because students were interested, and they needed an advisor. I didn’t initiate the club, a few students did, “says Dailey.

The Chess Club overall is a fun, engaging, and challenging activity. It gets students to put themselves out there, allowing them to make some friends and get into the school spirit.