CROSS COUNTRY ENDS

Ava Pokopatz
Kira Girardi, sophomore, is a part of the cross country team.

Struthers High School Cross Country’s banquet was on Wednesday, November 1st.

Cross country is during the summer and fall. Cross Country practice is held in the morning from 8:30-9:30 a.m. Middle school runners have to run two miles, and high school runners have to run 3.1 miles. 

The teammates think that they could have done something different this year.

“I should’ve paced myself earlier in the season so I could have had a better outcome in the end,” says sophomore Grayce Martinez. 

Tuesday’s are sprint days. Many, if not all members of the team, hate sprint days. The team runs a 200, 400, 800, 400, 200. A 200 is a half of a lap, a 400 is a whole lap, and an 800 is two whole laps. These are used for the sprinting part of the meets. Although almost everyone dislikes them, they improve speed and help the team be able to sprint better towards the end. 

With this sport, there are many things to look forward to.

I would say that I’m pretty proud of how I’ve run this season because I was able to cut down my original time by close to 26 minutes, but I think I can definitely get better. Also with this being my first season, I think I can get my time to under 30 minutes next season,” says sophomore Kira Girardi.  

There are different group sections while running. The groups are based on the team members’ levels of speed. The Cross Country team runs different paths. One main path they ran was from the high school to Mauthe Park and back. 

Runners can achieve accomplishments in this sport. 

“One word I would describe cross country as is rewarding,” says junior Emma Hawkins. 

The team supports each other on and off the course. There are both negatives and positives, and it is one of the most supportive sports.