STRUTHERS VOLLEYBALL SEASON CONCLUDES

Elliana Benson enjoyed her freshmen volleyball season.
Kerri Morris

The Struthers volleyball season comes to a close after a strong season. 

With new players, new coaches and new tactics, this volleyball season was different than any before. There was a clear increase in determination and positive attitudes on the court. Although they suffered a tough loss against Jefferson in the tournament, the seniors couldn’t be more grateful for this sport.  

Senior Emma Morris is pleased with this season. 

“We were focused on improving everyday, had a positive attitude, and played as a team and for each other. This was, overall, the best season of the past four years,” says Morris. 

The players who moved up from the middle school to the high school this year did a great job transitioning and adapting to the change of intensity. Although it is common to be nervous working with older players, the freshman listened, learned and connected well with the rest of the team. 

Freshman Elliana Benson was nervous about advancing to the high school level. 

“My freshman volleyball season was great from the teammates to the coaches. Although, I was extremely nervous going into this season. I was nervous because in middle school it was more of doing whatever is best and come to practice if you want, and you really never played with older girls. I knew in high school there were older girls and different coaches. Even though I have played with some of the girls before, it was just a different environment altogether,” says Benson. 

After finishing the season in a close match, the seniors are unfortunately saying goodbye to volleyball as highschool students. However, they are choosing to never let go of the memories they created together, both on and off the court. Through team bonding, winning, and rivalry games, this team will forever cherish volleyball. 

Morris’s favorite moment from her senior season was beating Poland.

“The most memorable part of the season for me was beating Poland both times we played them,” says Morris. 

Poland, Struthers’ rivals, have been a team they’ve been striving to beat. Last year, in a very close match, Struthers lost in the fifth set. However, this season, they accomplished their goal of winning not one, but two times.