TAAFFE MAKES HONORABLE MENTION IN VOLLEYBALL

Kerri Morris
Mickey Taaffe, senior, is the setter for the Ladycats.

Senior Mickey Taaffe is a student athlete at Struthers High School. 

Taaffe’s volleyball career started six years ago which includes five years of travel volleyball. The senior says her favorite memory from volleyball was her senior night, walking into the locker room and seeing all the underclassmen. Since she started playing, she’s always been a setter and really enjoys it. The setter says that if she could play any other position, she would be an outside hitter because she loves to hit. But, Taaffe is a very successful setter which is why she received District Honorable Mention. 

Other than the great accomplishment, the senior has received many other awards throughout her career. 

“I’ve earned Best Setter award, 800 Assists achievement, and 4-year letter winner,” says Taaffe.

Other than volleyball, Taaffe takes the student part of student athlete very seriously. Off the court, the volleyball player is involved in many clubs such as Medical Careers, Spanish and Interact Club. Taaffe is the Secretary of the National Honor Society and on the track to graduate with a 4.0. The senior is already on campus at YSU taking college classes. 

Taaffe manages being on campus on top of playing volleyball.

“It is a lot of time management and avoiding procrastination at all costs,” says Taaffe.

Taaffe decided to play in the Honorable Mention game to represent Struthers High School and put herself out there for college coaches. Looking into the future, she would love to play volleyball in college but is still undecided. Since Stuthers volleyball ended back in October, it gave both Taaffe and the whole team free time. 

The student athlete has been spending her time calmly and doing things she enjoys. 

“I’ve been focusing on my schoolwork more and spending more time with friends and family,” says Taaffe.