MCCONAHY MOVES INTO BASEBALL SEASON

Ava Pokopatz
Matthew McConahy, junior, is a first-year member of the baseball team.

Matthew McConahy is a junior at Struthers High School who is a multi-sport athlete. He participates in football, golf, track and baseball. 

Baseball season just started, and McConahy is prepared for the long season. Getting mentally prepared was the start and practice followed soon after. With some games being days in a row, McConahy is ready to take on all that comes. 

McConahy is playing for the first time, but goals are still something he wants to achieve. 

“I would say my biggest goal is to just get better. Since this is my first year playing, I feel like I have a lot of catching up to do,” says McConahy. 

Baseball has many aspects to it. Being good at pitching, batting, and catching is hard. McConahy is doing baseball for the first time and is learning how to do each of these. Being out in the field is what has come best to McConahy. 

It is always good to try out something new because you never know what the outcome might be. 

“I started playing baseball because it is almost the end of my high school career, so I might as well try everything I can,” says McConahy. 

Being on the baseball team comes with a lot of games. Having a game a couple of days in a row is normal. The season comes with lots of long days and weeks. Commitment is huge in baseball. 

The competition keeps the game interesting for McConahy. 

“The best part about baseball is the competition because we are in a really good conference, so I love playing the different teams,” says McConahy.