MICKLER ADDRESSES HER WORKS IN NATIONAL HONOR SOCIETY

Isabella Sferra
Mrs. Mickler is the National Honor Society Advisor.

Struthers High School teacher and National Honor Society Advisor Mrs. Mickler monitors GPAs, service logs and points and tallies faculty and staff voting during the NHS induction process. The National Honor Society is an elite society composed of students entertaining the archives, also known as the four pillars, of exhibited scholarship, service, character, and leadership. The National Honor Society is also dedicated to impacting the community by making it a better place with some shared inheritance, considering the vast number of students becoming leaders in the society.

Mickler holds views on students volunteering to make positive changes to day-to-day life and communities.

“National Honor Society is a group that’s the best of the best; I view it as the most well-rounded students. It’s a great accomplishment to be a member. For preparation, I love working with students both in and out of the classroom. I get to build relationships in ways that allow me to see them as people, instead of just as students,” says Mickler.

Mickler volunteered to hold events and fundraisers relating to the society’s impact. Planned events include: the Egg My Yard fundraiser, the United Way’s Satur-Day of Caring, and the induction ceremony, a ceremony introducing the new National Honor Society members.

The advisor explains her opinions about the yearly induction ceremony and her volunteership for the planned event.

“I love all of it. I love to decorate and prepare for the ceremony; the ceremony itself is a lot of fun. I also enjoy what we do throughout the year. The only downfall is if students need to be dismissed due to a GPA drop or other infraction,” says Mickler.

There are certain requirements for being a member of the National Honor Society.

“Students need to earn a 3.5 GPA by the middle of their junior year. Then, they need at least 20 service points. Finally, they are voted on for their character and leadership. In regards for service points, I try to offer as many volunteer opportunities that I can, so students have a chance to gain service points,” says Mickler.

Mickler gets involved in a dense amount of interactions with students. Mickler’s compatibility with students underlines that she prefers to engage in a younger audience of future National Honor Society members. The young age range most likely helps others in the future; volunteering at a young age can make for greater connections and collaborations in the future. 

Due to the vast amount of interactions and young audience engagements, Mickler insert’s communities like clubs and organizations she’s connected with as well as prepares other events outside the Struthers High School district.

“I advise clubs including the following: Future Teachers, Interact, Medical Careers, Student Prints, Senior Class; I love them all. They are all a little different, but in the end, they all help the community and the school to be a better place. In addition, I have a great relationship with the Struthers Rotary. We do help Struthers Rotary as much as we can through Interact and National Honor Society. I prepare for all rotary events at SES–the Rotary Pancake Breakfast to name a few,” says Mickler.

To conclude Mickler’s honorship with her partners and clubs, the National Honor Society and its students, Mickler continues to express her volunteerism in these areas.

“No matter what organization I’m in, I feel I can make an impact no matter what job or task is thrown at me,” says Mickler.

Mickler is a righteous volunteer for the National Honor Society, and she loves preparing students to become leaders in the community and making beneficial impacts. Due to her interactions with students, clubs, and other partnering organizations, Mickler continues to endorse herself to the realm of caring, following to make continuous changes to the community. In interacting and preparing with students, Mickler offers requirements and support for the students to achieve their goals for being a member of the National Honor Society. Mickler is responsible for preparing a large number of events and plans for students to participate in for service points and to value the true meaning of impacting communities. Her honorship and loyalty for the National Honor Society is outstanding and even with interpretation of viewing other organizations, Mickler prefers to remain volunteering for the National Honor Society and quite frankly, the rotary. Mickler shows what a true leader is, especially for the countless events and preparations she’s done in the past.