NEIDER SPIKES HER WAY THROUGH SEASON

Frank Marr
Mya Neider, junior, was a middle hitter for the Ladycats.

Mya Neider is a student-athlete here at Struthers High School, playing volleyball and being in a ton of extra-curricular activities. 

Playing a high school sport can be very challenging due to the amount of homework and practice time that a student has to manage. They are also very memorable because of the family and friends you create just by the sport. At a young age, sports create great memories that people hold onto for a lifetime. 

Being on the court is some of the best times a volleyball player can experience.

“The best part of playing volleyball is when you connect with your team on the court and learn how to play with each other. It’s also the best when the energy is high and everyone is playing together,” say Neider. 

Sports are extremely mental; sometimes it’s very hard to keep a positive attitude on the court when you are playing badly. You have to find a teammate on the court to look at every time you make a mistake to calm you down and keep you going. So many players would have so much potential if they could just get out of their head. 

Keeping a positive attitude on the court is very important. 

“I don’t always keep a positive attitude towards myself, but I’ve been learning to try my best to let it go while on the court. At some moments, I don’t do that, but I learn from every game and try to grow a new mindset of positivity,” said Neider. 

Neider is a very big competitor and will do anything to get her team a win. She often sets goals for herself to achieve to continue to get better. She wants her team to win, and herself to continue to get better. It can get frustrating at times, but you have to push through that to become the player you want to be. 

She wants to get better skills in different positions. 

“My strongest trait in volleyball is being versatile. My position changes all the time and I have to learn and adapt to it. Sometimes it gets hard and I get upset, but I always find a way to play the position to my full potential,” says Neider.