BULLEN BRINGS SPIRIT

Frank Marr
Elena Bullen, junior, is a varsity cheerleader.

Elena Bullen is a cheerleader for Struthers High School varsity. 

Bullen has been cheering for over 12 years. She was encouraged by her family around her to get into cheer. Bullen has no regrets about becoming a cheerleader. 

Cheer came with many good friendships that Bullen will cherish forever.

“The best part of cheer is the bonds you create with one another. I’ve made many close friends and amazing bonds through all the years I’ve cheered,” says Bullen. 

Cheer comes with a lot of difficulties. In every sport, you have to overcome hard obstacles. Bullen learned how to push through hers as the years went on.  

Bullen’s mental strength has played a big role throughout her whole cheerleading experience. 

“The hardest part would have to be the mental blocks or self-frustration. A lot of times going into a stunt or tumbling I get mental blocks because it’s scary to try new things. If I can’t get the new skill, I get discouraged and frustrated,” says Bullen. 

After football season, Bullen has competition and basketball season to look forward to. The cheer season is very long, but Bullen enjoys every moment of it. 

Competitions are actually one of Bullen’s favorite parts about cheer. 

“This year we are doing one competition at Girard. I love doing competitions. I honestly wish we did them more,” says Bullen.