MARTIN MAKES MARK ON VARSITY TEAM

Isabella Sferra
Gianna Martin, freshman, got some varsity time this season.

Gianna Martin is a student-athlete at Struthers High School.

Martin plays volleyball for the high school’s team. She was moved up to play for varsity as a freshman.

She is very passionate about volleyball and is glad to have this opportunity to play on the varsity team.

“I’m very glad I started playing because I didn’t like it at first, but now it’s my favorite sport. I can now see myself playing in the future professionally. I am happy I got to play up because on my record I will have a letter. That is really good on college applications. It’s also faster in speed, and I get to build new relationships with the older girls,” says Martin.

She plays other sports like basketball and softball, while also juggling school work and staying an A and B student. 

She is a middle hitter, and she has a lot of role models but one teammate really stands out. 

“I look up to Genna Wilsun because she’s middle just like me, and she’s very good at what she does. I’ve always looked up to her,” says Martin.

Martin is very sad to see the seniors leave, but she’s very proud of them and how far they’ve come. She’s grown very close to some of the girls despite their age difference.

Although she loves the sport, she wishes she could’ve gotten more playing time in certain aspects.

“I wish they would’ve put me in more for passing. I feel like I would’ve gotten better with practice,” says the athlete.