STRUTHERS STARTS SENIORS AT TRACK MEET

Isabella Sferra
Emma Morris, senior, is a long jumper and a runner on the track team.

Struthers had their only home track meet of the season on Monday, April 8th, so the seniors can have their night at their home track.

This was the first regular meet of the season.

The track meet spotlighted the following seniors: Emma Morris, Christian Pascarella, Lexa Tovtin, Talisa Lee, Olivia Miner, Caleb Sakara, Gino Carcelli, Ryan Donnadio, Ava Hall, Ava Pokopatz and Ayla Bundy. They had a ceremony before the meet where the athletes got announced and got to walk with their parents as they received a poster of themselves and flowers. This has been a tradition to host one home meet every year to give thanks to the seniors’ many years of being on and supporting Struthers track.

Senior sprinter Emma Morris can’t believe her track career is almost to an end.

“Having only started track last year, you would think I wouldn’t be that attached to the sport, but I will for sure miss the coaches, team, and the atmosphere,” says Morris.

As for the track team, in all the meet went really well for it only being the first one. Many people ran many different events and relays, getting a feel for what events they will be best at. Many athletes and relay teams came in first and second, one being Struthers boys 4×4 team. 

But even with success comes things that can be worked on.

“Hopefully the weather will get better so we can work on our individual events more,” says Morris.

But one thing all the seniors and team can agree on is the support and atmosphere of the meet. It being the one and only home meet made the turnout was pretty big. Parents and friends all came in support of track athletes, which made the meet ten times more exciting.

But the best part is getting to run and throw with your friends.

“The senior night meet was nice, it was fun having all the seniors there since a lot play other sports and don’t always make it,” says Morris.

While overall the night was a success, this is only the beginning. The athletes are still training hard to compete for the rest of their track season.