SENIOR FOCUS

Isabella Sferra
(Left to Right): Morgan Minno, Christian Pascarella, Josh Robison, Talisa Lee, Olivia Miner

Talisa Lee

How has your senior year been so far? So far, my senior year has been pretty good. There have been some stressful moments, but overall I’ve enjoyed it.

What are your future plans? My future plans are to study civil engineering at YSU and find a career in that field after I graduate college.

What are your feelings about your last spring sports season? I am very excited about my last season because I’m confident that I’ll hit a new personal record in shot put. At the same time, I’m sad that this is my last one. I have made plenty of memories and I’m going to miss everyone on the team. 

Do you want to continue your athletic career after high school? Why or why not? I do want to continue my athletic career after high school because I’ve put a lot of work into it. I want to continue to grow and improve in a sport that I enjoy. 

What has been your favorite memory of high school so far? My favorite memory of high school so far has been prom. I had such an amazing time with my friends both during and after. I honestly can’t wait for prom this year.

Which game (or meet) are you most looking forward to this season? Why? I am most looking forward to our home meet this year. We only have one every season, and I am looking forward to my senior night. It’s also going to be the same day as the eclipse, which I think is cool. 

Are you struggling with senioritis? I am 100% struggling with senioritis. There are so many things that I need to do, both high school and college related, and it’s very stressful. It’s definitely hard to keep up with everything and the senioritis is such a pain. 

What position do you play, or what events do you do? I compete in shot put and discus. 

What are you most looking forward to within the next few months? Why? I am most looking forward to graduating. I’m ready to be done with high school and I want to have a great summer before I start college. I want to be able to have a lot of fun before I start school again in August. 

Olivia Miner

How has your senior year been so far? My senior year has been fun, with a bit of nervousness about the future.

What are your future plans? My future plans are to go to further my education at Kent State University in Salem. While I’m there, my plan is to get a degree in early childhood education. 

What are your feelings about your last spring sports season? I’m happy to play in the last spring sport, but also upset knowing this will be the last time I can play sports, at least for an organization. It is also, in a way, a good feeling of accomplishment because I have done sports for as long as I can remember. 

Do you want to continue your athletic career after high school? Why or why not? I would love to continue my athletic career after high school. Unfortunately, I will not be able to. Kent State in Salem is an extremely small school so they don’t have sports. They don’t even have recreational teams. 

What has been your favorite memory of high school so far? I would have to say my favorite memories of high school are going to sporting events. Whether it was football, basketball, or baseball, I always had a good time at the games. 

Which game (or meet) are you most looking forward to this season? Why? I am looking forward to our senior night. I am hoping that unlike the other years where we had a home meet, that I will do well. I am hoping to redeem myself. It is also a day where I can look back and see how far I’ve come as an athlete and a person.

Are you struggling with senioritis? I am struggling with senioritis. It definitely doesn’t help that a lot of my classes are easy so they are easier to leave on the back burner. However, as of recently, I have been picking up on doing work so that when I go to college, I’m not used to leaving things undone or doing things last minute.

What position do you play, or what events do you do? I am on the track and field team. The events I do are shot put and discus. 

What are you most looking forward to within the next few months? Why? I am looking forward to taking in the last few moments while we are in school in the last few months. This will be the last time a lot of us are going to see each other. This will be our last prom. For some of us, this will be the last time in school, depending on the career that we chose. I am looking forward to taking in every moment. 

Morgan Minno

How has your senior year been so far? My senior year has been great! Having the ability to make sure our senior year is the best is a true honor, and I am so excited for the upcoming events for the rest of the year.

What are your future plans? My future plans are to attend Youngstown State University to major in nursing.

What are your feelings about your last spring sports season? It’s very bittersweet. Playing softball my whole life really formed me into who I am today. Not playing next year will definitely be different, but I am excited for the season to make this one the best for last. 

Do you want to continue your athletic career after high school? Why or why not?  No, I’m ready to close the chapter and start to focus on the next part of my life.

What has been your favorite memory of high school so far? Despite all of the fun times throughout the year, my most favorite memory was senior homecoming. Being the homecoming queen, as well as being able to go with all of my friends was so much fun. Football season all around was my favorite time of the year.

Which game (or meet) are you most looking forward to this season? Why? I am looking forward to playing against Poland. I am so excited to see what our team has to offer this year and I hope we can get a win against them.

Are you struggling with senioritis? Yes, the school work is becoming difficult to achieve, and as I get caught up in class president duties, I feel I have been putting that in front of everything else. 

What position do you play, or what events do you do? In softball, I play first base and pitcher. In school, I hold many places such as being the Class President, Editor-In-Chief of the Yearbook, President of the Medical Careers Club, the National Honors Society Treasurer, and so much more.

What are you most looking forward to within the next few months? Why? I am so excited to break the news on everything we have planned for the upcoming months. With it being our last 2 months, it is my responsibility to make sure it is the best yet.

Christian Pascarella

How has your senior year been so far? It has been moving really fast, I’ve been really busy but enjoying my last year so far. 

What are your future plans? My future plans are to go to college at Westminster, to get a degree in secondary education and to play football.

What are your feelings about your last spring sports season? I’m excited for my last track season because I think I can accomplish a lot this year. 

Do you want to continue your athletic career after high school? Why or why not? Yes, I was offered to play football at Westminster and after checking out the facility and staying overnight with the team, I am ecstatic to keep playing the sport I love.

What has been your favorite memory of high school so far? Definitely the memories I have made over all 4 years of playing football here at Struthers. A very specific memory I have that was one of my favorites was running out of the tunnel and seeing the entire city of Struthers in the stands for the home playoff game.

Which game (or meet) are you most looking forward to this season? Why? I am most looking forward to the District Championship meet because I had just placed out of the top 4 last year and I lost to all seniors, so I think I can make a run to Regionals this year.

Are you struggling with senioritis? Not a whole lot. I stick to a pretty strict schedule that keeps me going throughout the day and does not have too much time to get lazy.

What position do you play, or what events do you do? For football, I am going to play receiver in college. In track, I do a bunch of sprinting events and long jump.

What are you most looking forward to within the next few months? Why? I think I am most looking forward to prom in the next couple months. I always love getting dressed up once or twice a year and going out with my girlfriend and friends and having a good time.

Josh Robison

How has your senior year been so far? My senior year has definitely been unforgetful, that’s for sure. From all of the classes I’m taking, holding new responsibilities, and preparing for life after high school, it’s taken a lot of time and effort that will assist me down the road. I’ve definitely taken a lot of time to reflect on my last 3 years here at Struthers. It’s fair to say they’ve been the best 3 years of my life, and my senior year has just been the icing on cake for the most part.

What are your future plans? I plan to attend college at Ohio University and study film and work my way to becoming a feature film director. I also plan on pursuing a career in acting where more of my passion lies. Either way, I hope to be a part of the filmmaking process and make films that tell stories that can entertain whilst teaching lessons.

What are your feelings about your last spring sports season? With my last baseball season coming up, I definitely have a lot of mixed emotions about it. Baseball was my first love, and the fact that my relationship with it is coming to a close is upsetting. But I couldn’t have been happier that I had the experience of being on the baseball team and experiencing every high and every low with the team as a whole. It feels just like yesterday I played my first baseball game in the 7th grade, and now I’m 2 months away from my last. Now I sit here thinking, “Where did all that time go?” So I plan on playing every single game like it’s my last because that last game is soon to come, and I don’t know how ready I am for that. 

Do you want to continue your athletic career after high school? Why or why not? Would I play baseball in college given the opportunity? Absolutely! But that is just not a reality for someone like me. I play baseball because I like it, not because I’m good at it! All jokes aside, if I could play competitive baseball in college I most certainly would, but as I said, I’m not a high caliber player and I don’t think I will be. If anything, what I’ll do is participate in club sports throughout college, but there is no guarantee.

What has been your favorite memory of high school so far? I’ve had so many memories in high school, so it’s difficult to pick an exact favorite. However, my favorite memories include sporting events where I broadcasted basketball games with Mr. Zanni during my sophomore and junior year, and being the mascot during the basketball and football games during my junior and senior year. Those are definitely my most favorite moments because those games will make you feel so exhilarated, you could take on the entire world. It brought me a sense of family, a sense that I was finally at a place I belonged. That is what is most memorable to me. 

Which game (or meet) are you most looking forward to this season? Why? This season, I really look forward to playing Hubbard and Poland to get some revenge from last year, but I personally look forward to playing Crestview. Our Crestview game is more important to me than I think the rest of the team because we played them last year on my birthday, and that day I recorded my first hit in my high school career. It tasted even better since it was for extra base! I couldn’t have thought of anything better to receive on my birthday than that. Especially since that was at a time where I wasn’t sure if I loved baseball anymore. Our Crestview game also is our opening day game this year and it’s just important to start the season off right with a win!

Are you struggling with senioritis? Senioritis is something that I have not struggled with as much as other seniors have, but I am looking forward to being done with this chapter of my life so I can see what happens in the next chapter. Sure, there have been times where I did not want to do my work, but I knew what had to do and it was better to just do what I had to so I could get it over with. As Mr. Zanni once said to me, “Do what you have to do now, so later in life you can do what you want to do.” That will stick with me for the rest of my life. 

What position do you play, or what events do you do? In baseball, I’m mostly a corner outfielder in right and left, or I’ll just be in the lineup as the designated hitter. Occasionally, I’ll play 3rd base as well. As the mascot, I did most of the football games, whether they were home or away.

What are you most looking forward to within the next few months? Why? What I look forward to most is my first day of college in the next few months. Sure, I look forward to graduation and this coming baseball season, but college is what excites me the most. That will be the day that I gain a lot of independence and take on this world on my own. It will be a whole new chapter in my life that I look forward to taking on and all that comes with it. It won’t be easy by any means and I am willing to step up to the plate and face this challenge head on.