SENIOR FOCUS

Ava Pokopatz
Left to Right: Luis Casillas, Adriana Bonini, Byron Stafford, Sabrina Michaels. Carter Creighton

Adriana Bonini

Are you excited for the holidays? Why or why not? Yes, I am excited for the holidays because I can spend time with my family.

Does your family have any holiday traditions? If so, what are they? On Christmas Eve, my family watches Christmas movies with hot chocolate.

Do you have any exciting plans over break? Over break, I plan to binge some of my favorite shows, spend time with my sisters and have fun on my eighteenth birthday.

Have you applied to college(s) yet? Do you plan on attending college? If not, what are your plans for the future? I have applied and been accepted to YSU. I plan on attending and majoring in psychology.

What are you most looking forward to in the new year? Why? In the new year, I am most looking forward to graduating and having a fun summer before college.

What has been your favorite high school memory? Why? My favorite high school memory was our marching band performance on November 10th at our football game against Lake Catholic. This is my favorite memory because I felt it was our best performance; we made the most of it and made our coach proud even though we were freezing. It was truly liberating, and I finally felt at peace with my performance career. 

What are you going to miss most about high school? Why? I am going to miss going to band camp every summer because we always made such good memories, and Color Guard has always been like a second family to me. I will always cherish our bond and how far we’ve all come. 

Does this year feel like it’s going by fast or slow? Why? I feel that this year is going by so fast because these weeks feel slow, but the next thing I know, it’s already December.

What is something from high school that you’ll carry with you for the rest of your life? Something from high school that I’ll carry with me for the rest of my life is to stay positive and keep my head up. For the last 4 years, I’ve had a lot of ups and downs. No matter what, I’ve always tried to see the bright side of things and move forward. I’ve grown so much throughout these last 4 years, and I give a big thank you to the close people around me for supporting me through all of it.

Luis Casillas

Are you excited for the holidays? Why or why not? Yes, I’m excited for the holidays because of the much needed break. It will also be the first Christmas I get to spend with my girlfriend and her family.

Does your family have any holiday traditions? If so, what are they? Every year, my family and I play the White Elephant game and have a Christmas Eve Eve party.

Do you have any exciting plans over break? Besides spending some time with my family and girlfriend, I don’t really have anything exciting going on. Honestly, I’m just excited to catch up on some much needed sleep and rest.

Have you applied to college(s) yet? Do you plan on attending college? If not, what are your plans for the future? Yes, I have. I’ve applied to and been accepted into the Computer Science program at YSU. 

What are you most looking forward to in the new year? Why? I’m most excited to see some of the new movies and video games that are coming out in the new year. I’m especially excited for the “Godzilla” movie.

What has been your favorite high school memory? Why? My favorite memory was meeting Julie, who was my best friend, and is now my girlfriend. We were both new to Struthers our freshman year, and we quickly bonded. All of my time spent with Julie have been some of my favorite memories.

What are you going to miss most about high school? Why? I’m going to miss the availability with time because I know I’ll be getting busier as I get older and have more responsibility.

Does this year feel like it’s going by fast or slow? Why? It doesn’t really feel like either; it just feels normal for me. Not going fast or slow, just a nice passage of time.

What is something from high school that you’ll carry with you for the rest of your life? High school, for me, was a time of many ups and downs. I’ll carry both the ups and downs with me throughout life.

Carter Creighton

Are you excited for the holidays? Why or why not? Yeah, I have my reasons to be excited–mainly being able to be at home with my family and dogs. I also just think it looks pretty outside during the winter.

Does your family have any holiday traditions? If so, what are they? We have some, for Christmas Eve we’ll make our own sort of Christmas dinner and will also get smaller gifts. During New Year’s Eve we’ll have a game night, it doesn’t last too long but we still do it.

Do you have any exciting plans over break? I’ll find out soon enough what my plans are. They might not be too exciting, but I’ll probably try to get a pair of boots so that I can walk my dogs in the snow. It might not be during break, but I at least know that soon enough I’ll be helping put away decorations at both my house and my grandma’s.

Have you applied to college(s) yet? Do you plan on attending college? If not, what are your plans for the future? I probably should try to apply to YSU. I guess the tour I went on was enough to convince me to go. I don’t really have a set plan yet, but I’ll at least try to get things more straightened out later on this school year.

What are you most looking forward to in the new year? Why? I’m looking forward to another new beginning. Each new year presents potential to improve and to not repeat the mistakes from previous years.

What has been your favorite high school memory? Why? I’d say getting my final report card for my junior year was my favorite memory. I was proud of this because my freshman year went horrible, and while I did improve during my sophomore year, it still wasn’t my best work. So, I was happy to see that I ended junior year with all A’s.

What are you going to miss most about high school? Why? I suppose I’ll miss some of the people here most of all. Throughout my time in this district, I have met some great people and it will be sad to lose contact with them.

Does this year feel like it’s going by fast or slow? Why? I feel like this year has been going by kind of fast, it’s still early in the school year, but August definitely feels like it was a year ago already.

What is something from high school that you’ll carry with you for the rest of your life? I will probably keep my freshman year in mind throughout the rest of my life. It was a terrible time for me in school, so I’m mainly keeping it as a reminder of what not to do and as a reminder to keep my laziness in check.

Sabrina Michaels

Are you excited for the holidays? Why or why not? Yes, I’m excited for the holidays because I get to see my family.

Does your family have any holiday traditions? If so, what are they? Every year on Christmas Eve, my sister and I each open one present that night. We open the rest of them on Christmas.

Do you have any exciting plans over break? I plan to hang out with my friends and see some of my family that I don’t normally get to see over break.

Have you applied to college(s) yet? Do you plan on attending college? If not, what are your plans for the future? I haven’t gotten to applying to college yet, but I’m planning on attending YSU for forensic science or possibly something else related to criminal justice.

What are you most looking forward to in the new year? Why? I’m mostly just looking forward to graduating and starting new things because I’m just ready to get a fresh start out of high school.

What has been your favorite high school memory? Why? There’s not really any specific memory that’s my favorite; the whole high school experience that I’ve had in general is significant to me and just every part of it is important.

What are you going to miss most about high school? Why? I’m going to miss everything about it, like Color Guard, football games, the teachers and just every single person I’ve met along the way. All of those things and people have made my entire experience better in their own way.

Does this year feel like it’s going by fast or slow? Why? This year feels like it’s going by fast, especially because we’re seniors now and there’s really only a few more months left until we’re completely done with high school altogether. It’s crazy to think about, and it just makes me realize how fast time really goes by.

What is something from high school that you’ll carry with you for the rest of your life? All the friendships I’ve made and the good memories from high school and Color Guard will stay with me for a long time.

Byron Stafford

Are you excited for the holidays? Why or why not? Of course, celebrating the holidays with my family is always something I look forward to. It allows for a brief respite from the constant workflow we all live through and just allows us to chill out for a bit. There is no other feeling like dozing off on the couch surrounded by warm Christmas lights as it snows outside.

Does your family have any holiday traditions? If so, what are they? First of all, we always cut down our own tree. We had a fake tree before we moved to Ohio, but after we started up in a new place, we decided to try something new, and nowadays we always go to the Pioneer Trails Tree Farm the day after Black Friday and get lost in the endless mazes of trees before finally picking the one we like. Another more niche thing we do is on every Thanksgiving night, which we consider the start to the Christmas season, we put on “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.” Many people have their own favorite holiday movie, and this is ours.

Do you have any exciting plans over break? Honestly, I just plan to be very lazy with my family over break. I can imagine I’ll be playing Spider-Man 2 a lot, as I’ve been very excited for that game. Dodging spoilers has been a nightmare.

Have you applied to college(s) yet? Do you plan on attending college? If not, what are your plans for the future? I have applied to college, and I plan on going to YSU for Graphic Design and marketing. Ideally, I’ll be making advertisements for use on websites and in magazines.

What are you most looking forward to in the new year? Why? Honestly, I’m both looking forward to and dreading the new year, since my life is going to change a whole lot in many ways, and I’m not sure if I’m mentally prepared for that yet. I’ll be turning 18, going to college, and dealing with a whole lot more adult stuff. The independence of it all is something that I am looking forward to for sure, though.

What has been your favorite high school memory? Why? Homecoming last year was probably my favorite high school memory, because even though I didn’t go to the dance myself, my friends and I all went out to dinner and had a good time. It was a lot of fun as I don’t usually do that kind of thing.

What are you going to miss most about high school? Why? The thing I’m going to miss about school the most is absolutely the people here. Some of the teachers I’ve had these past few years have been the most amazing and understanding people I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting, and I’m glad I got to know them. Mr. Dailey and Mrs. Mickler specifically are some of the only teachers in recent memory who I can recall making me feel genuinely excited for class.

Does this year feel like it’s going by fast or slow? Why? The year is going by way too fast. It seems to be balanced out with how much work I’m doing, but with how nervous I am about the future, everything is just accelerating faster and faster. We’re almost halfway through the year, but it somehow feels like it just started.

What is something from high school that you’ll carry with you for the rest of your life? I think I’ll carry the memories of this place with me for the rest of my life. It’s a very cliche thing to say, but it wouldn’t be cliche if it wasn’t true. A whole lot of inside jokes, new interests, and interesting ideas first came to me during my time at Struthers High School, and I’m very thankful for that.