SENIOR FOCUS

Ava Pokopatz
Front Row (Left to Right): Ayla McGrath, Penelope Tusin Back Row (Left to Right): Ava Hall, Genevieve Wulzen, Lexa Tovtin

Ava Hall

What are your future plans? My future plans after graduation are to attend college for pre-law and start working towards my goal of being successful. 

What has been your favorite memory of high school so far? My favorite high school memory so far would have to be Week 13 of the football season. To watch my lifelong best friends that I’ve watched play since little league, dream so big and make school history is just surreal. I’m so excited I get to be a part of it watching it go down. 

How has senior year been from your perspective? How/Why? Senior year has been my best year of high school so far. The memories I’ve made so far and knowing they are some of my lasts have been really meaningful to create. The course work is going good and easy, and I think it’s a great year to end off on. 

What are you most looking forward to? (Either later this year, next, or sometime in the near future) Why/How? At this very moment I am looking forward to prom and Kalahari. It’s my last ride with some of my best friends, and so many great memories I know are going to be made over that weekend of our last school dance.

Are you excited to grow up? Excited to graduate and move on? Why or why not? Ever since I was a little girl, I couldn’t wait to grow up so that I could experience what my older brothers were living at the time. Now that I’m grown up, I only ever wish I could be little again. I’m excited for what the future holds and for the future I am going to make for myself. I know it only gets better from here.

What are you going to miss most about high school? Why? What I’ll miss most about high school will be the social aspect of it. I have made so many connections not only with peers but with teachers and staff in all buildings. You only get so many years to just be a high school student only worried about friends, sporting events, boys and grades. After that, you start dealing with real world problems. I don’t take any of these days left for granted. 

What’s one thing from high school that you learned that you’ll take with you throughout the rest of your life?One thing that high school has taught me is that everything is temporary. The bad days are only 24 hours; same thing with the good ones. Each day is an opportunity to make it the best of what it can be regardless of other people and situations. 

Ayla McGrath

What are your future plans? I plan to go to college to become a physician’s assistant, but I’m still undecided on where I want to go.

What has been your favorite memory of high school so far? This football season is definitely one of my favorites. It’s really cool to see the kids I’ve grown up with go so far in their sport.

How has senior year been from your perspective? How/Why? It’s been really good so far, all my classes are easy and it’s been pretty fun. 

What are you most looking forward to? (Either later this year, next, or sometime in the near future) Why/How?  I’m excited for things at the end of the year like softball and prom, but overall I’m pretty excited to graduate. 

Are you excited to grow up? Excited to graduate and move on? Why or why not? I am pretty excited but I’m also kind of nervous, everything will be different which is exciting but also nerve-wracking.

What are you going to miss most about high school? Why? Probably just being with my friends every day and doing all of our lasts together, like dances, sports, everything like that

What’s one thing that you learned in high school that you learned that you’ll take with you throughout the rest of your life? Just to appreciate all of the experiences and people that you’re around because nothing is forever. I’ve learned to appreciate all of the people and things I do every day that I take for granted. 

Penelope Tusin

What are your future plans? My future plans are to get into a good college, major in political science, and minor in law to get my bachelor’s, then go to law school to become a lawyer. 

What has been your favorite memory of high school so far? Why? My favorite memory of high school so far has to be Holiday Half Day sophomore year, when my best friend Genevieve and I played Just Dance in Mrs. Nicholas’s room. 

How has senior year been from your perspective? How/Why? Senior year from my perspective has been challenging but fun. I say this because I have many college classes and an AP class, so the school work and applying to colleges and such have been extremely challenging. Though it has been fun, being more involved and just having a good time due to it being my last year to do certain things. 

What are you most looking forward to? (Either later this year, next, or sometime in the near future) Why/How?Something I am looking most forward to in the future would be voting in the Presidential election in 2024. I say this because I am into politics and want to be involved in them.

Are you excited to grow up? Excited to graduate and move on? Why or why not? I am not excited to grow up, though I am excited to graduate and move on from high school. I say I’m not excited to grow up because the concept of growing up is a bit scary to me because anything could happen in your future. When you grow up, you are no longer dependent on your parents, but instead on yourself, and I think that is a big and challenging adjustment and change. I am excited to graduate and move on from high school though, because I can finally pursue my dreams, and I have more freedom that comes with graduating.

What are you going to miss the most about high school? Why? Something I will miss about high school is seeing my friends every day and the staff. I say this because in high school you make lifelong friends and become friends with everyone in the school, including the staff, and it will be different not talking to some of these people every day, like I once did. 

What’s one thing from high school that you learned, that you’ll take with you throughout the rest of your life? One thing I learned from high school that I’ll take with me throughout the rest of my life is that mental health is important and shouldn’t be ignored just because you have other things you have to do, and that you should prioritize yourself and your mental health to become the best version of yourself.

Lexa Tovtin

What are your future plans? My future plans are to go to college (not sure where) and hopefully play collegiate sports, while receiving my associate’s degree in biology, and furthering my education in pre-med to become a pediatrician. 

What has been your favorite memory of high school so far? Why? One of my favorite memories of high school would be when I first came here, and two weirdos–Emma Morris and Ava Hall–approached me at lunch and asked me to sit with them. This is one of my favorite memories because they introduced me to a bunch of others who are now some of my closest friends, and I love them so much.

How has senior year been from your perspective? How/Why? Senior year is quite stressful simply due to taking college classes, and this is the time to apply to colleges and scholarships. Even with all the stress, I love the memories I continue to make with everyone, especially Week 14 of Football!

What are you most looking forward to? (Either later this year, next, or sometime in the near future) Why/How?  I’m looking forward to my spring season sports, especially Softball. I have a love-hate relationship with it, but I absolutely adore the girls I play with, and I know it’s gonna be sad when I finally play that last game.  

Are you excited to grow up? Excited to graduate and move on? Why or why not? I think there are pros and cons to growing up, graduating and moving on. I think I am excited about it but also nervous. I am beyond excited to go to a college and finally take classes that are focused on the path I want to take in life, but I am also nervous because some of the people I have spent numerous hours with and created a plethora of memories with, won’t be with me all the time. I’m excited to grow up, but I am not excited for goodbyes. 

What are you going to miss most about high school? Why? I think I am going to miss the normalcy. College is a lot different than anything experienced because it doesn’t run on the normal bell schedule, it doesn’t have the normal surroundings I am used to, or the people I am used to. I simply am going to miss the setting of high school. I am also going to miss my younger friends.

What is one thing from high school that you learned, that you’ll take with you for the rest of your life? The one thing I learned throughout my years in high school is to push myself as far as my mind can let me. I know that everyone is capable of something great, but a simple mind block can stop us, and that is not something I am going to let affect me. 

Genevieve Wulzen

What are your future plans? My plans for the future are to play college volleyball while also going to school for psychology.

What has been your favorite memory of high school so far? Why? My favorite memory of high school is from my sophomore year when my best friend Penelope and I played Just Dance during Holiday Half Day in Mrs. Nicholoas’s room. 

How has senior year been from your perspective? How/Why? Senior year has been a positive experience for me. I have learned a lot so far, I have great teachers, and I am surrounded by such cool people. 

What are you most looking forward to? (Either later this year, next, or sometime in the near future) Why/How? I am looking forward to pursuing my career in the future, and I am also excited to further my volleyball career as well. 

Are you excited to grow up? Excited to graduate and move on? Why or why not? I am excited to grow up, it will be sad leaving my childhood behind but it is always exciting to move onto a new chapter of your life. I am curious to see what the future holds for me. 

What are you going to miss the most about high school? Why? I will miss the staff and seeing my friends every day. I will miss the positive environment and being involved in clubs and high school sports. 

What’s one thing from high school that you learned, that you’ll take with you throughout the rest of your life? I learned to hold myself accountable for things I have done wrong, and I have learned time management. These are two things that I will always carry with me throughout my life.