LADYCATS MAKE IT TO STATE

Frank Marr

The girls’ bowling team had a successful season, winning districts and making it to state.

Clare Coppola, Sports Writer

The Struthers girls’ bowling team went to state on Friday, March 3rd.

The girls ended up being 15th in state out of 189 teams in Ohio.

The team struggled a little bit, but they tried their hardest and worked as hard as they could to place in the top 8 but that didn’t happen, the pins didn’t fall like the team wanted them to.

Foreign exchange student Jimena Duque had a great season with the team.

“I was very excited to learn a new sport that I have never done before coming to Struthers. I really appreciate all the help that my teammates gave me. Although I was disappointed that the JV season was very short, I did enjoy being able to tag along with the varsity team during the season. Being a part of an undefeated team was very special. Overall, the bowling memories I have will last me a lifetime,” Duque said.

Everyone on the girls team placed within top 83 for girls. The girls had an amazing season this year overall. They were undefeated this entire NE8 season and made it to state. The team was very proud overall how this season went. Although the team struggled at state, they went in with the best mindset and tried to do their best.

Senior Arlene Groves thought the team had an amazing season and time at state.

“Tough, but really fun and rewarding. We’ve had a lot of challenges but we always managed to push through. We accomplished a lot this year,” Arlene Groves said.

At state, the boys were there to support the girls and that gave them a boost to do their best and fight as hard as they could to do their best. After game one, the girls were sitting 13th, and after all games they were 200 pins out of the cut. After all the bakers, they were 15th.

Groves said she loved this season, and it was the best of her four years that she bowled.

“Definitely my favorite season of four years. I got to experience a few new things and get closer to a few more people,” Groves said.