SENIOR FOCUS

Ava Pokopatz
(Left to Right): Ingrid Sandoval, Madison Irizarry, Alyssa Almos, Amber Childs Missing from photo: Hailey Anglin

Alyssa Almos

What are your feelings about the start of the second semester? I’m in shock to know that we are already halfway through the year, and we only have that same amount of time to go, but I’m grateful for the fresh start. 

Has senioritis kicked in yet? Why or why not? Oh yeah, it definitely has. This is the first year I haven’t been stressing about slacking off, and I’m just doing what I can. Compared to other years, I was overwhelmed by every assignment and their due dates. 

What are your future plans? I plan on going to YSU to major in psychology and become a licensed tattoo artist.

What has been your favorite memory of high school so far? Why? Of course all of the high school dances I attended were a ton of fun, but I genuinely enjoyed most of my classes, because of my teachers and the way my schedule was balanced.

What are you most looking forward to in the next few months? Why? I’m excited for the changes to come, like graduating. Outside of academics, I’m able to explore a completely different life outside of high school and my home life while being in college, and having the freedom to learn.

What’s one thing from high school that you learned that you’ll take with you throughout the rest of your life? I learned how we were all made to be different from one another. Being able to relate is relieving, but having the need to relate and changing yourself for it is wasteful. Be different.

What are you going to miss most about high school? Why? I will surely miss the close contact I have with all of my teachers, staff members and friends. 

Did you have a resolution for the new year? If so, have you kept up with it? Why or why not? I didn’t make a resolution for the new year; however, I do have a goal of becoming more spiritually aware going into college and adulthood.

Hailey Anglin

What are your feelings about the start of the second semester? It’s exciting. I’m excited to be done with high school and start the next chapter.

Has senioritis kicked in yet? Why or why not? Yes, I’m struggling with senioritis right now. I’m just ready to be done with high school.

What are your future plans? I plan to continue working at the hospital where I currently work, while simultaneously attending YSU to acquire my BSN in nursing. 

What has been your favorite memory of high school so far? Why? My favorite memory of high school so far would have to be going to MCCTC. It was a nice head start to my career and let me get my foot in the door early.

What are you most looking forward to in the next few months? Why? I’m looking forward to mapping out my future plans and making sure I make the best choices for myself and my future.

What’s one thing from high school that you learned that you’ll take with you throughout the rest of your life? Study skills! High school really taught me how to study quickly and effectively.

What are you going to miss most about high school? Why?  Honestly, I’m not sure if I’m going to miss any of it.

Did you have a resolution for the new year? If so, have you kept up with it? Why or why not? Yes, I did have a New Year’s resolution. My resolution was to focus more on my own well-being, rather than others. I’ve tried my best to keep up with it, and I think I’m doing pretty well so far.

Amber Childs

What are your feelings about the start of the second semester? I’m feeling rushed about it, but I also want to be calm about it because I know everything is going to fall into place.

Has senioritis kicked in yet? Why or why not? Yes, it really has because all throughout the school year so far I think I’ve said, “I’m really a senior, oh my god,” like over 300 times and it’s happening so quickly.

What are your future plans? I want to go on vacation for a little while before I go to college at YSU.

What has been your favorite memory of high school so far? Why? So far, my favorite memory has been this year’s homecoming. I loved the theme that we had for it, and the way I matched the theme. It was cute and fun, so that’s my favorite memory so far.

What are you most looking forward to in the next few months? Why? The number one thing would be graduation, and then the next two are Prom and Kalahari, because when I get there, I’ll just know that I did it, and then I’m onto bigger and better things.

What’s one thing from high school that you learned that you’ll take with you throughout the rest of your life? One thing I learned was to not rush things, because it’s all going to fall into place, even if it seems like nothing is working. Everything falls into place when you least expect it sometimes.

What are you going to miss most about high school? Why?  I am going to miss my teachers and having the jokes I shared with some of my classmates and friends. The high school experience only happens once, and life after you graduate high school and college is going to be way different. 

Did you have a resolution for the new year? If so, have you kept up with it? Why or why not? Yes, I did have a resolution for the new year, and so far I have kept up with it, even though there’s been a few bumps. But, I’m not going to let them stop me from doing what I said I was going to make happen.

Madison Irizarry

What are your feelings about the start of the second semester? I have mixed feelings about the second semester starting. It’s bittersweet knowing how soon we’re graduating.

Has senioritis kicked in yet? Why or why not? Yes, but I feel it’s only kicked in when it comes to school work. I’m very much over waking up early and doing the actual work all the time.

What are your future plans? I plan on furthering my education to become some type of nurse. I’m leaning towards either a registered nurse or a mental health nurse.

What has been your favorite memory of high school so far? Why? My favorite memories from high school were just doing things with my friends. Last year, I was lucky to have multiple classes with them, and I’d be laughing in every single one.

What are you most looking forward to in the next few months? Why? I’m looking forward to Prom. It’ll be my first and last Prom, so that’s exciting. I’m also looking forward to graduating, so my family will be proud of my accomplishments and have high hopes for the future.

What’s one thing from high school that you learned that you’ll take with you throughout the rest of your life? The thing from high school that I’ll take with me forever is always to be kind. There’s so many rude people in the world, and if being nice and kind can make someone’s day just a bit better, that’s amazing.

What are you going to miss most about high school? Why?  I’m going to miss my friends and the memories I’ve made during high school. My first two years were a bit rough, but I had a really great junior year, being surrounded by all of my friends.

Did you have a resolution for the new year? If so, have you kept up with it? Why or why not? I wanted to focus on myself for the new year, and I’ve been keeping up with it. Usually, I worry about things that aren’t important, or don’t concern me, but I’ve really been trying to not do that. It’s been going well, and I’ve been able to focus on myself a lot more.

Ingrid Sandoval

What are your feelings about the start of the second semester? Throughout the second semester so far, I would like to say that it started off with a good start. The only personal difference I have is one new class. Other than that, everything is going just like the first semester was.

Has senioritis kicked in yet? Why or why not? I think senioritis kicked in on the first day of school, as this year has just been very tedious.

What are your future plans? I’m a little unsure of my future plans at the moment. I don’t know if they’ll ever fully be known, but right now I’m leaning towards and looking forward to going into some type of trade.

What has been your favorite memory of high school so far? Why? My favorite memories have just been being able to get to know more about the people in my life, as well as getting to know and learn more about the students and teachers here. It’s so crazy how much you’re able to learn from another human being.

What are you most looking forward to in the next few months? Why? In the next few months, I’m very eager to graduate and get high school done and over with. Being able to experience and create my own life on my own terms sounds super exciting, but terrifying at the same time.

What’s one thing from high school that you learned that you’ll take with you throughout the rest of your life? Something I’ll take away from high school is that sometimes you have to just keep trying and trying until you find what you’re looking for. School and life are full of trial and error.

What are you going to miss most about high school? Why?  I’m going to miss the teachers who I have been able to get along with. They’ll always have a special place in my heart, as well as my high school memories.

Did you have a resolution for the new year? If so, have you kept up with it? Why or why not? A great resolution that I had for the new year was to be a better me. So far, I haven’t really kept up with it, but I plan to change that. In the long run, the person who you want to become could have a great effect.